Thursday, August 18, 2011

Enough mountain roads

It took us 2 days to travel 300 miles across the bottom of Oregon .... very narrow lanes, very slow, very high mountain passes (lots of them), very nerve-racking ( I should have improved stomach muscle tone because they were tense for hours on end).
The positive side was it was beautiful.  But I was so tired of mountain passes that I turned south and dropped down to Reno, Nevada. The "high desert" is very beautiful.  Actually I read that Lake Tahoe elevation is above 6,000 feet.   We'll go there in the next few days..... meanwhile we've accumulated about two tons of laundry that needs doing, a tire balance /or bubble problem that needs to be inspected, and the transmission is due for servicing.  One of those mountain passes we traveled 13 miles in a steady climb.... (that's when I thought to check the service schedule) - duh !  But the engine has been performing exceptionally well.

Since we are farther south than I originally planned, we will eliminate Salt Lake City from our route and head straight for Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Arches, etc, etc.

Later, Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Just reading your description made me tense up. Happy you made it safely down the mountain.

    ReplyDelete