Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Too-o-o BEAUTIFUL !

Lake Tahoe is wondrous!  When I got the first glimpse of it I literally gasped.  Some parts are so glorious (Emerald Bay) that all I could do was stand there and drink it in.  The central eastern shore reminds me of the Southern Oregon Coast. Emerald Bay was formed by a glacier pushing down the canyon and breaking out into the lake crater area. 
And then the history of the lake is so interesting. Many murals and enlarged photos from the early 1900's are on display in a lot of public places.  You can see it from the early Native American huts on the shore, to the mule trains of workers and supplies that built the roads, to the steam boat that connected the shoreline before the roads, to the early presidents and dignitaries who vacationed there.

I think I rank Tahoe right up close to Glacier Park for pure scenic beauty.  We did not make it to Crater Lake this trip (because Marilyn got weary of driving in the mountains), but I hear it is exceptionally beautiful also, and even more blue than Tahoe (it is deeper than Tahoe).
One interesting trivia item about Tahoe:  the water volume in the lake if spilled onto an area the size of California, would cover it to a depth of 14 inches.

Tomorrow, on to Winnemucca, Nevada.
Later, Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment